Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/20] pack-revindex: prepare for on-disk reverse index

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 18:15:11 -0800

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> Did you want to queue these two topics separately?

Unless it is a reasonable amount of certainty that the bottom topic
will not have to be rerolled, I'd rather not to have separate topics
on top of each other.

It is tedious and error prone, having to rebase the old iteration of
the top topic on top when a new iteration of the bottom topic comes
out.  I'd rather see that the top one get rerolled whenever the
bottom one gets rerolled to make life simpler.

Even in a single topic, I would encourage people to put the
foundational and preparatory work early so that we can make them
solidify before review really gets to later parts of the series.

And when a series is structured like so, it is perfectly fine to say
something like:

    Here is a new iteration of the last 7 patches---the early 13
    patches are the same as the previous round, so reset the topic
    to bb6414ab (packfile: prepare for the existence of '*.rev'
    files, 2021-01-08) and then apply these 7.

if you do not want to send all patches in a nontrivial series when
it gets updated.

Thanks.