Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] docs: demonstrate difference between 'am' and 'apply'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 14:59:53 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> So, I am moderately against everything under 'use git apply' line of
> the patch.  However, I do think it is a good idea to add a note
> somewhere in the manual of "am" to say something along the lines of
> the following (placed around here, or even immediately before we
> give the sample patch we used in the above example):
>
>     While an output of "diff format-patch" (see above/below for an

Gaah, too many cycles of wordsmithing and copyediting without the
final proofreading.  The above should read "git format-patch", of
course.

>     example) is meant to be made into a commit with "git am",
>     what you have may only be an output of "git diff" without log
>     message and is not meant to be directly made into a commit.  In
>     such a case, you may want to refer to git-apply[1] to learn how
>     to apply such a change to your working tree (and optionally to
>     the index).
>    
> It would be a good idea to redirect those readers who are looking at
> "git am" when (perhaps realizing) they should rather be looking at
> "git apply" earlier rather than later, so perhaps taking "see below"
> side and giving it as a side-note before the example starts might be
> better.