Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 2/4] t3427: accelerate this test by using fast-export and fast-import

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 15:46:33 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> +extract_files_subtree () {
>> +	git fast-export --no-data HEAD -- files_subtree/ |
>> +		sed -e "s%\([0-9a-f]\{40\} \)files_subtree/%\1%" |
>> +		git fast-import --force --quiet
>> +}

This change has obvious interactions with Dscho's d51b771d ("t3427:
move the `filter-branch` invocation into the `setup` case",
2019-07-31) that is still in flight, but in a good way.  There only
needs a single callsite for the above helper function after that
step.

I think I'll discard this step from the "move us closer to deprecate
filter-branch" topic, and ask you and Dscho to work together to have
it or its moral equivalent included as part of js/rebase-r-strategy
topic.

Thanks.