Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 00/14] Trace2 tracing facility

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 10:46:10 -0800

"Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry to spam the list, but here is V4. After building V3 on 3 platforms
> without error and submitting, the compilers on platforms 4 and 5 complained
> about a variable declaration. (sigh) [] fix declaration after first
> statement [] add -DNO_UNIX_SOCKETS to BASIC_CFLAGS when NO_UNIX_SOCKETS is
> defined in the Makefile.

OK.

By the way, if somebody can teach gitgitgadget the same Date: header
trick that is used by git-send-email, so that the messages sort
well, it would be very much appreciated.  Here is how I see this
thread in my MUA:

 .   [1366: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 01/14] trace2: Documentat...
R.    [  43: SZEDER Gábor           ] 
 .   [4459: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 02/14] trace2: create new...
 .   [  69: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 04/14] trace2:data: add t...
 .   [ 186: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 03/14] trace2: collect pl...
 .   [  38: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 05/14] trace2:data: add e...
 .   [  25: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 06/14] trace2:data: add t...
 .   [  50: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 07/14] trace2:data: add t...
 .   [ 101: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 08/14] trace2:data: add t...
 .   [ 114: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 09/14] trace2:data: add t...
 .   [  68: Derrick Stolee via GitG] [PATCH v4 10/14] pack-objects: add ...
 .   [  42: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 11/14] trace2:data: add s...
 .   [  34: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 12/14] trace2:data: add s...
 .   [  45: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 13/14] trace2:data: add s...
 .   [1276: Jeff Hostetler via GitG] [PATCH v4 14/14] trace2: t/helper/t...

and all but 4 and 3 appear in the right order owes mostly because
they have Date: header that increases by 1 second interval, but 3
and 4 share the same timestamp.

I can obviously cope with it, but if a tool at the sending end can
eliminate the need to cope with it in the first place, that would
help not just me but others ;-)