Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 1/5] eoie: add End of Index Entry (EOIE) extension

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 12:08:48 -0700

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I get annoyed by the "ignoring unknown extension xxx" messages while
> testing though (not just this extension) and I think it will be the
> same for other git implementations. But perhaps other implementations
> just silently drop the extension. Most of the extensions we have added
> so far (except the ancient 'TREE') are optional and are probably not

Most of the index extensions are optional, including TREE.  I think
"link" is the only one that the readers that do not understand it
are told to abort without causing damage.

> present 99% of time when a different git impl reads an index created
> by C Git. This 'EIOE' may be a good test then to see if they follow
> the "ignore optional extensions" rule since it will always appear in
> new C Git releases.

I think we probably should squelch "ignoring unknown" unless some
sort of GIT_TRACE/DEBUG switch is set.

Patches welcome ;-)

Thanks.