Subject: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2017, #02; Thu, 7)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 10:04:02 -0800

Here are the topics that have been cooking.  Commits prefixed with
'-' are only in 'pu' (proposed updates) while commits prefixed with
'+' are in 'next'.  The ones marked with '.' do not appear in any of
the integration branches, but I am still holding onto them.

You can find the changes described here in the integration branches
of the repositories listed at

    http://git-blame.blogspot.com/p/git-public-repositories.html

--------------------------------------------------
[Graduated to "master"]

* ac/complete-pull-autostash (2017-11-22) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 802d204eda)
 + completion: add --autostash and --no-autostash to pull

 The shell completion (in contrib/) learned that "git pull" can take
 the "--autostash" option.

* bw/protocol-v1 (2017-10-17) 11 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 55040d09ec)
 + Documentation: document Extra Parameters
 + ssh: introduce a 'simple' ssh variant
 + i5700: add interop test for protocol transition
 + http: tell server that the client understands v1
 + connect: tell server that the client understands v1
 + connect: teach client to recognize v1 server response
 + upload-pack, receive-pack: introduce protocol version 1
 + daemon: recognize hidden request arguments
 + protocol: introduce protocol extension mechanisms
 + pkt-line: add packet_write function
 + connect: in ref advertisement, shallows are last
 (this branch is used by jn/ssh-wrappers.)

 A new mechanism to upgrade the wire protocol in place is proposed
 and demonstrated that it works with the older versions of Git
 without harming them.

* cc/git-packet-pm (2017-11-22) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 1527ab3519)
 + Git/Packet.pm: use 'if' instead of 'unless'
 + Git/Packet: clarify that packet_required_key_val_read allows EOF

 Code clean-up.

* cc/perf-run-config (2017-09-24) 9 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at d75a2469eb)
 + perf: store subsection results in "test-results/$GIT_PERF_SUBSECTION/"
 + perf/run: show name of rev being built
 + perf/run: add run_subsection()
 + perf/run: update get_var_from_env_or_config() for subsections
 + perf/run: add get_subsections()
 + perf/run: add calls to get_var_from_env_or_config()
 + perf/run: add GIT_PERF_DIRS_OR_REVS
 + perf/run: add get_var_from_env_or_config()
 + perf/run: add '--config' option to the 'run' script

* hm/config-parse-expiry-date (2017-11-18) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 20014f5541)
 + config: add --expiry-date

 "git config --expiry-date gc.reflogexpire" can read "2.weeks" from
 the configuration and report it as a timestamp, just like "--int"
 would read "1k" and report 1024, to help consumption by scripts.

* jk/fewer-pack-rescan (2017-11-22) 5 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 2c35a2d831)
 + sha1_file: fast-path null sha1 as a missing object
 + everything_local: use "quick" object existence check
 + p5551: add a script to test fetch pack-dir rescans
 + t/perf/lib-pack: use fast-import checkpoint to create packs
 + p5550: factor out nonsense-pack creation

 Internaly we use 0{40} as a placeholder object name to signal the
 codepath that there is no such object (e.g. the fast-forward check
 while "git fetch" stores a new remote-tracking ref says "we know
 there is no 'old' thing pointed at by the ref, as we are creating
 it anew" by passing 0{40} for the 'old' side), and expect that a
 codepath to locate an in-core object to return NULL as a sign that
 the object does not exist.  A look-up for an object that does not
 exist however is quite costly with a repository with large number
 of packfiles.  This access pattern has been optimized.

* jn/reproducible-build (2017-11-22) 3 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 6ae6946f8c)
 + Merge branch 'jn/reproducible-build' of ../git-gui into jn/reproducible-build
 + git-gui: sort entries in optimized tclIndex
 + generate-cmdlist: avoid non-deterministic output

 The build procedure has been taught to avoid some unnecessary
 instability in the build products.

* jn/ssh-wrappers (2017-11-21) 9 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 00a2bb7a3c)
 + connect: correct style of C-style comment
 + ssh: 'simple' variant does not support --port
 + ssh: 'simple' variant does not support -4/-6
 + ssh: 'auto' variant to select between 'ssh' and 'simple'
 + connect: split ssh option computation to its own function
 + connect: split ssh command line options into separate function
 + connect: split git:// setup into a separate function
 + connect: move no_fork fallback to git_tcp_connect
 + ssh test: make copy_ssh_wrapper_as clean up after itself
 (this branch uses bw/protocol-v1.)

 The ssh-variant 'simple' introduced earlier broke existing
 installations by not passing --port/-4/-6 and not diagnosing an
 attempt to pass these as an error.  Instead, default to
 automatically detect how compatible the GIT_SSH/GIT_SSH_COMMAND is
 to OpenSSH convention and then error out an invocation to make it
 easier to diagnose connection errors.

* jt/submodule-tests-cleanup (2017-11-22) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 5f0e4bcde1)
 + Tests: clean up submodule recursive helpers

 Further test clean-up.

* ph/stash-save-m-option-fix (2017-11-24) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 96eadf9372)
 + stash: learn to parse -m/--message like commit does

 In addition to "git stash -m message", the command learned to
 accept "git stash -mmessage" form.

* rd/doc-notes-prune-fix (2017-11-22) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 4a657474ee)
 + notes: correct 'git notes prune' options to '[-n] [-v]'

 Doc update.

* rd/man-prune-progress (2017-11-22) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 1680e6a2f5)
 + prune: add "--progress" to man page and usage msg

 Doc update.

* rd/man-reflog-add-n (2017-11-22) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at eacb065aa6)
 + doc: add missing "-n" (dry-run) option to reflog man page

 Doc update.

* sb/submodule-recursive-checkout-detach-head (2017-07-28) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 6584ec1a65)
 + Documentation/checkout: clarify submodule HEADs to be detached
 + recursive submodules: detach HEAD from new state

 "git checkout --recursive" may overwrite and rewind the history of
 the branch that happens to be checked out in submodule
 repositories, which might not be desirable.  Detach the HEAD but
 still allow the recursive checkout to succeed in such a case.

* sp/doc-info-attributes (2017-11-24) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 4e509c2d25)
 + doc: Mention info/attributes in gitrepository-layout

 Doc update.

* tg/deprecate-stash-save (2017-11-22) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 6bcb61b267)
 + doc: prefer 'stash push' over 'stash save'

 Doc update.

* tz/branch-doc-remove-set-upstream (2017-11-17) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 8fcad3f6e7)
 + branch doc: remove --set-upstream from synopsis

 "git branch --set-upstream" has been deprecated and (sort of)
 removed, as "--set-upstream-to" is the preferred one these days.
 The documentation still had "--set-upstream" listed on its
 synopsys section, which has been corrected.

--------------------------------------------------
[New Topics]

* bw/pathspec-match-submodule-boundary (2017-12-05) 1 commit
 - pathspec: only match across submodule boundaries when requested

 An v2.12-era regression in pathspec match logic, which made it look
 into submodule tree even when it is not desired, has been fixed.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* en/remove-stripspace (2017-12-05) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-06 at c926373a49)
 + strbuf: remove unused stripspace function alias

 An internal function that was left for backward compatibility has
 been removed, as there is no remaining callers.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* jk/progress-delay-fix (2017-12-04) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at 8e62c2b18b)
 + progress: drop delay-threshold code
 + progress: set default delay threshold to 100%, not 0%

 A regression in the progress eye-candy was fixed.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* ls/git-gui-no-double-utf8-author-name (2017-12-05) 2 commits
 - Merge branch 'ls/no-double-utf8-author-name' of ../git-gui into ls/git-gui-no-double-utf8-author-name
 - git-gui: prevent double UTF-8 conversion

 Amending commits in git-gui broke the author name that is non-ascii
 due to incorrect enconding conversion.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* sb/clone-recursive-submodule-doc (2017-12-05) 1 commit
 - Documentation/git-clone: improve description for submodule recursing

 Doc update.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* js/hashmap-update-sample (2017-12-05) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-06 at 40ceee9a18)
 + hashmap: adjust documentation to reflect reality

 Code comment update.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* ab/sha1dc-build (2017-12-05) 4 commits
 . sha1dc: remove in favor of using sha1collisiondetection as a submodule
 . Makefile: use the sha1collisiondetection submodule by default
 . sha1dc_git.h: re-arrange an ifdef chain for a subsequent change
 - Makefile: don't error out under DC_SHA1_EXTERNAL if DC_SHA1_SUBMODULE=auto

* bw/submodule-config-cleanup (2017-12-06) 1 commit
 - diff-tree: read the index so attribute checks work in bare repositories

 Recent update to the submodule configuration code broke "diff-tree"
 by accidentally stopping to read from the index upfront.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* sg/setup-doc-update (2017-12-07) 1 commit
 - setup.c: fix comment about order of .git directory discovery

 Comment update.

 Will merge to 'next'.

--------------------------------------------------
[Stalled]

* jc/merge-symlink-ours-theirs (2017-09-26) 1 commit
 - merge: teach -Xours/-Xtheirs to symbolic link merge

 "git merge -Xours/-Xtheirs" learned to use our/their version when
 resolving a conflicting updates to a symbolic link.

 Needs review.

* mg/merge-base-fork-point (2017-09-17) 3 commits
 - merge-base: find fork-point outside partial reflog
 - merge-base: return fork-point outside reflog
 - t6010: test actual test output

 "merge-base --fork-point $branch $commit" is used to guess on which
 commit among the commits that were once at the tip of the $branch the
 $commit was built on top of, and it learns these historical tips from
 the reflog of the $branch.  When the true fork-point is lost due to
 pruning of old reflog entries, the command does not give any output,
 because it has no way to guess correctly and does not want to mislead
 the user with a wrong guess.

 The command has been updated to give the best but not known to be
 correct guess, based on a hope that a merge-base between $commit and a
 virtual merge across all the reflog entries that still are available
 for $branch may still be a closer to the true fork-point than the
 merge-base between $commit and the current tip of the $branch.

 This may have to be offered by an additional option, to allow the
 users that are prepared to see a potentially incorrect guess to opt
 into the feature, without affecting the current callers that may not
 be prepared to accept a guess that is not known to be correct.

 What's the doneness of this one?

* jk/drop-ancient-curl (2017-08-09) 5 commits
 - http: #error on too-old curl
 - curl: remove ifdef'd code never used with curl >=7.19.4
 - http: drop support for curl < 7.19.4
 - http: drop support for curl < 7.16.0
 - http: drop support for curl < 7.11.1

 Some code in http.c that has bitrot is being removed.

 Expecting a reroll.

* mk/use-size-t-in-zlib (2017-08-10) 1 commit
 . zlib.c: use size_t for size

 The wrapper to call into zlib followed our long tradition to use
 "unsigned long" for sizes of regions in memory, which have been
 updated to use "size_t".

 Needs resurrecting by making sure the fix is good and still applies
 (or adjusted to today's codebase).

* mg/status-in-progress-info (2017-05-10) 2 commits
 - status --short --inprogress: spell it as --in-progress
 - status: show in-progress info for short status

 "git status" learns an option to report various operations
 (e.g. "merging") that the user is in the middle of.

 cf. <[email-masked]>

* nd/worktree-move (2017-04-20) 6 commits
 - worktree remove: new command
 - worktree move: refuse to move worktrees with submodules
 - worktree move: accept destination as directory
 - worktree move: new command
 - worktree.c: add update_worktree_location()
 - worktree.c: add validate_worktree()

 "git worktree" learned move and remove subcommands.

 Expecting a reroll.
 cf. <[email-masked]>
 cf. <[email-masked]>
 cf. <[email-masked]>

--------------------------------------------------
[Cooking]

* ab/simplify-perl-makefile (2017-12-04) 1 commit
 - Makefile: replace perl/Makefile.PL with simple make rules

 The build procedure for perl/ part has been greatly simplified by
 weaning ourselves off of MakeMaker.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* cc/skip-to-optional-val (2017-12-07) 7 commits
 - t4045: test 'diff --relative' for real
 - t4045: reindent to make helpers readable
 - diff: use skip-to-optional-val in parsing --relative
 - diff: use skip_to_optional_val_default()
 - diff: use skip_to_optional_val()
 - index-pack: use skip_to_optional_val()
 - git-compat-util: introduce skip_to_optional_val()

 Introduce a helper to simplify code to parse a common pattern that
 expects either "--key" or "--key=<something>".

 Even though I queued fixes for "diff --relative" on top, it may
 still want a final reroll to make it harder to misuse by allowing
 NULL at the valp part of the argument.  Also s/_val/_arg/.
 cf. <[email-masked]>
 cf. <[email-masked]>

* lb/rebase-i-short-command-names (2017-12-05) 9 commits
 - t3404: add test case for abbreviated commands
 - rebase -i: learn to abbreviate command names
 - rebase -i -x: add exec commands via the rebase--helper
 - rebase -i: update functions to use a flags parameter
 - rebase -i: replace reference to sha1 with oid
 - rebase -i: refactor transform_todo_ids
 - rebase -i: set commit to null in exec commands
 - Documentation: use preferred name for the 'todo list' script
 - Documentation: move rebase.* configs to new file

 Allow a single-letter command name in the "rebase -i" todo list.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* ra/prompt-eread-fix (2017-12-06) 2 commits
 - git-prompt: fix reading files with windows line endings
 - git-prompt: make __git_eread intended use explicit

 Update the shell prompt script (in contrib/) to strip trailing CR
 from strings read from various "state" files.

* ds/for-each-file-in-obj-micro-optim (2017-12-04) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at 55ba487ccd)
 + sha1_file: use strbuf_add() instead of strbuf_addf()

 The code to iterate over loose object files got optimized.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* en/merge-recursive-icase-removal (2017-11-27) 1 commit
 - merge-recursive: ignore_case shouldn't reject intentional removals

 The code internal to the recursive merge strategy was not fully
 prepared to see a path that is renamed to try overwriting another
 path that is only different in case on case insensitive systems.
 This does not matter in the current code, but will start to matter
 once the rename detection logic starts taking hints from nearby
 paths moving to some directory and moves a new path along with them.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* gk/tracing-optimization (2017-12-06) 2 commits
 - trace: improve performance while category is disabled
 - trace: remove trace key normalization

 The tracing infrastructure has been optimized for cases where no
 tracing is requested.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* pc/submodule-helper (2017-11-26) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at fdf56787be)
 + submodule--helper.c: i18n: add a missing space in message

 A message fix.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* tb/check-crlf-for-safe-crlf (2017-11-27) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at 7adaa1fe01)
 + convert: tighten the safe autocrlf handling

 The "safe crlf" check incorrectly triggered for contents that does
 not use CRLF as line endings, which has been corrected.

 Broken on Windows???
 cf. <[email-masked]>

* tg/t-readme-updates (2017-11-27) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at c0b0e2d65b)
 + t/README: document test_cmp_rev
 + t/README: remove mention of adding copyright notices

 Developer doc updates.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* cc/require-tcl-tk-for-build (2017-11-29) 2 commits
 - travis-ci: avoid new tcl/tk build requirement
 - Makefile: check that tcl/tk is installed

 A first-time builder of Git may have installed neither tclsh nor
 msgfmt, in which case git-gui and gitk part will fail and break the
 build.  As a workaround, refuse to run a build when tclsh is not
 installed and NO_TCLTK is not set.

 Undecided.
 I still feel that requring tclsh to be installed, with or without
 "escape hatch" for experts, may be too heavy-handed.

* mk/http-backend-content-length (2017-11-27) 4 commits
 - SQUASH???
 - t5560-http-backend-noserver.sh: add CONTENT_LENGTH cases
 - SQUASH???
 - http-backend: respect CONTENT_LENGTH as specified by rfc3875

 The http-backend (used for smart-http transport) used to slurp the
 whole input until EOF, without paying attention to CONTENT_LENGTH
 that is supplied in the environment and instead expecting the Web
 server to close the input stream.  This has been fixed.

 Expecting a reroll.
 Suggested fixes to be used when rerolling is queued, but I'd
 prefer _not_ squashing them myself.

* fk/sendmail-from-path (2017-11-28) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at deb7a5f4a8)
 + git-send-email: honor $PATH for sendmail binary

 "git send-email" tries to see if the sendmail program is available
 in /usr/lib and /usr/sbin; extend the list of locations to be
 checked to also include directories on $PATH.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* jk/no-optional-locks (2017-11-27) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-06 at e642dde605)
 + git-status.txt: mention --no-optional-locks

 Doc update for a feature available in Git v2.14 and upwards.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* jt/diff-anchored-patience (2017-11-28) 1 commit
 - diff: support anchoring line(s)

 "git diff" learned a variant of the "--patience" algorithm, to
 which the user can specify which 'unique' line to be used as
 anchoring points.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* ks/doc-checkout-previous (2017-11-28) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at 02f17e3c55)
 + Doc/checkout: checking out using @{-N} can lead to detached state

 @{-N} in "git checkout @{-N}" may refer to a detached HEAD state,
 but the documentation was not clear about it, which has been fixed.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* en/rename-directory-detection (2017-12-05) 34 commits
 - merge-recursive: ensure we write updates for directory-renamed file
 - merge-recursive: avoid spurious rename/rename conflict from dir renames
 - directory rename detection: new testcases showcasing a pair of bugs
 - merge-recursive: fix remaining directory rename + dirty overwrite cases
 - merge-recursive: fix overwriting dirty files involved in renames
 - merge-recursive: avoid clobbering untracked files with directory renames
 - merge-recursive: apply necessary modifications for directory renames
 - merge-recursive: when comparing files, don't include trees
 - merge-recursive: check for file level conflicts then get new name
 - merge-recursive: add computation of collisions due to dir rename & merging
 - merge-recursive: add a new hashmap for storing file collisions
 - merge-recursive: check for directory level conflicts
 - merge-recursive: add get_directory_renames()
 - merge-recursive: make a helper function for cleanup for handle_renames
 - merge-recursive: add a new hashmap for storing directory renames
 - merge-recursive: split out code for determining diff_filepairs
 - merge-recursive: make !o->detect_rename codepath more obvious
 - merge-recursive: fix leaks of allocated renames and diff_filepairs
 - merge-recursive: introduce new functions to handle rename logic
 - merge-recursive: move the get_renames() function
 - directory rename detection: tests for handling overwriting dirty files
 - directory rename detection: tests for handling overwriting untracked files
 - directory rename detection: miscellaneous testcases to complete coverage
 - directory rename detection: testcases exploring possibly suboptimal merges
 - directory rename detection: more involved edge/corner testcases
 - directory rename detection: testcases checking which side did the rename
 - directory rename detection: files/directories in the way of some renames
 - directory rename detection: partially renamed directory testcase/discussion
 - directory rename detection: testcases to avoid taking detection too far
 - directory rename detection: directory splitting testcases
 - directory rename detection: basic testcases
 - merge-recursive: add explanation for src_entry and dst_entry
 - merge-recursive: fix logic ordering issue
 - Tighten and correct a few testcases for merging and cherry-picking

 Rename detection logic in "diff" family that is used in "merge" has
 learned to guess when all of x/a, x/b and x/c have moved to z/a,
 z/b and z/c, it is likely that x/d added in the meantime would also
 want to move to z/d by taking the hint that the entire directory
 'x' moved to 'z'.

 Needs review.

* ra/decorate-limit-refs (2017-11-22) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at 02c66aa4e0)
 + log: add option to choose which refs to decorate

 The tagnames "git log --decorate" uses to annotate the commits can
 now be limited to subset of available refs with the two additional
 options, --decorate-refs[-exclude]=<pattern>.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* ab/pcre2-grep (2017-11-24) 2 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at 88f1927207)
 + grep: fix segfault under -P + PCRE2 <=10.30 + (*NO_JIT)
 + test-lib: add LIBPCRE1 & LIBPCRE2 prerequisites

 "git grep" compiled with libpcre2 sometimes triggered a segfault,
 which is being fixed.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* jc/receive-pack-hook-doc (2017-11-24) 1 commit
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at ffa14b1d48)
 + hooks doc: clarify when receive-pack invokes its hooks

 Doc update.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* sb/diff-blobfind (2017-11-24) 1 commit
 - diff: add a new diffcore transformation to find a specific blob

 "git diff" family of commands learned --blobfind=<object-name> that
 allows you to limit the output only to a change that involves the
 named blob object (either changing the contents from or to it).

 Will merge to 'next'.

* tg/worktree-create-tracking (2017-12-06) 6 commits
 - add worktree.guessRemote config option
 - worktree: add --guess-remote flag to add subcommand
 - worktree: make add <path> <branch> dwim
 - worktree: add --[no-]track option to the add subcommand
 - worktree: add can be created from any commit-ish
 - checkout: factor out functions to new lib file

 The way "git worktree add" determines what branch to create from
 where and checkout in the new worktree has been updated a bit.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* pw/sequencer-in-process-commit (2017-11-24) 9 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-06 at a4212f7ebd)
 + t3512/t3513: remove KNOWN_FAILURE_CHERRY_PICK_SEES_EMPTY_COMMIT=1
 + sequencer: try to commit without forking 'git commit'
 + sequencer: load commit related config
 + sequencer: simplify adding Signed-off-by: trailer
 + commit: move print_commit_summary() to libgit
 + commit: move post-rewrite code to libgit
 + Add a function to update HEAD after creating a commit
 + commit: move empty message checks to libgit
 + t3404: check intermediate squash messages

 The sequencer infrastructure is shared across "git cherry-pick",
 "git rebase -i", etc., and has always spawned "git commit" when it
 needs to create a commit.  It has been taught to do so internally,
 when able, by reusing the codepath "git commit" itself uses, which
 gives performance boost for a few tens of percents in some sample
 scenarios.

 Will cook in 'next'.

* dj/runtime-prefix (2017-12-05) 4 commits
 . exec_cmd: RUNTIME_PREFIX on some POSIX systems
 . Makefile: add Perl runtime prefix support
 . Makefile: add support for "perllibdir"
 . Makefile: generate Perl header from template file

 A build-time option has been added to allow Git to be told to refer
 to its associated files relative to the main binary, in the same
 way that has been possible on Windows for quite some time, for
 Linux, BSDs and Darwin.

 Tentatively kicked out of 'next' to see how well another topic
 ab/simplify-perl-makefile that heavily conflicts with this fares.

* ls/editor-waiting-message (2017-12-07) 2 commits
 - launch_editor(): indicate that Git waits for user input
 - refactor "dumb" terminal determination

 Git shows a message to tell the user that it is waiting for the
 user to finish editing when spawning an editor, in case the editor
 opens to a hidden window or somewhere obscure and the user gets
 lost.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* en/rename-progress (2017-12-02) 5 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-04 at 49b39d2297)
 + diffcore-rename: make diff-tree -l0 mean -l<large>
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-20 at 77a2e0ddd9)
 + sequencer: show rename progress during cherry picks
 + diff: remove silent clamp of renameLimit
 + progress: fix progress meters when dealing with lots of work
 + sequencer: warn when internal merge may be suboptimal due to renameLimit

 Historically, the diff machinery for rename detection had a
 hardcoded limit of 32k paths; this is being lifted to allow users
 trade cycles with a (possibly) easier to read result.

 Will merge to 'master'.

* ar/unconfuse-three-dots (2017-12-06) 8 commits
 - t2020: test variations that matter
 - t4013: test new output from diff --abbrev --raw
 - diff: diff_aligned_abbrev: remove ellipsis after abbreviated SHA-1 value
 - t4013: prepare for upcoming "diff --raw --abbrev" output format change
 - checkout: describe_detached_head: remove ellipsis after committish
 - print_sha1_ellipsis: introduce helper
 - Documentation: user-manual: limit usage of ellipsis
 - Documentation: revisions: fix typo: "three dot" ---> "three-dot" (in line with "two-dot").

 Ancient part of codebase still shows dots after an abbreviated
 object name just to show that it is not a full object name, but
 these ellipses are confusing to people who newly discovered Git
 who are used to seeing abbreviated object names and find them
 confusing with the range syntax.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* jh/object-filtering (2017-12-05) 9 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-12-05 at 3a56b51085)
 + rev-list: support --no-filter argument
 + list-objects-filter-options: support --no-filter
 + list-objects-filter-options: fix 'keword' typo in comment
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at e5008c3b28)
 + pack-objects: add list-objects filtering
 + rev-list: add list-objects filtering support
 + list-objects: filter objects in traverse_commit_list
 + oidset: add iterator methods to oidset
 + oidmap: add oidmap iterator methods
 + dir: allow exclusions from blob in addition to file
 (this branch is used by jh/fsck-promisors and jh/partial-clone.)

 In preparation for implementing narrow/partial clone, the object
 walking machinery has been taught a way to tell it to "filter" some
 objects from enumeration.

* jh/fsck-promisors (2017-12-05) 12 commits
 - gc: do not repack promisor packfiles
 - rev-list: support termination at promisor objects
 - fixup: sha1_file: add TODO
 - fixup: sha1_file: convert gotos to break/continue
 - sha1_file: support lazily fetching missing objects
 - introduce fetch-object: fetch one promisor object
 - index-pack: refactor writing of .keep files
 - fsck: support promisor objects as CLI argument
 - fsck: support referenced promisor objects
 - fsck: support refs pointing to promisor objects
 - fsck: introduce partialclone extension
 - extension.partialclone: introduce partial clone extension
 (this branch is used by jh/partial-clone; uses jh/object-filtering.)

 In preparation for implementing narrow/partial clone, the machinery
 for checking object connectivity used by gc and fsck has been
 taught that a missing object is OK when it is referenced by a
 packfile specially marked as coming from trusted repository that
 promises to make them available on-demand and lazily.

* jh/partial-clone (2017-12-05) 14 commits
 - t5616: end-to-end tests for partial clone
 - fetch-pack: restore save_commit_buffer after use
 - unpack-trees: batch fetching of missing blobs
 - clone: partial clone
 - partial-clone: define partial clone settings in config
 - fixup: connected: conditionally pass --exclude-promisor-objects to rev-list
 - fixup: fetch: update --blob-max-bytes to --fitler
 - fixup: fetch: update error messages from --blob-max-bytes to --filter
 - fetch: support filters
 - fetch: refactor calculation of remote list
 - fetch-pack: test support excluding large blobs
 - fetch-pack: add --no-filter
 - fetch-pack, index-pack, transport: partial clone
 - upload-pack: add object filtering for partial clone
 (this branch uses jh/fsck-promisors and jh/object-filtering.)

 The machinery to clone & fetch, which in turn involves packing and
 unpacking objects, have been told how to omit certain objects using
 the filtering mechanism introduced by the jh/object-filtering
 topic, and also mark the resulting pack as a promisor pack to
 tolerate missing objects, taking advantage of the mechanism
 introduced by the jh/fsck-promisors topic.

* sb/describe-blob (2017-11-16) 7 commits
 - builtin/describe.c: describe a blob
 - builtin/describe.c: factor out describe_commit
 - builtin/describe.c: print debug statements earlier
 - builtin/describe.c: rename `oid` to avoid variable shadowing
 - revision.h: introduce blob/tree walking in order of the commits
 - list-objects.c: factor out traverse_trees_and_blobs
 - t6120: fix typo in test name

 "git describe" was taught to dig trees deeper to find a
 <commit-ish>:<path> that refers to a given blob object.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* pb/bisect-helper-2 (2017-10-28) 8 commits
 - t6030: make various test to pass GETTEXT_POISON tests
 - bisect--helper: `bisect_start` shell function partially in C
 - bisect--helper: `get_terms` & `bisect_terms` shell function in C
 - bisect--helper: `bisect_next_check` shell function in C
 - bisect--helper: `check_and_set_terms` shell function in C
 - wrapper: move is_empty_file() and rename it as is_empty_or_missing_file()
 - bisect--helper: `bisect_write` shell function in C
 - bisect--helper: `bisect_reset` shell function in C

 Expecting a reroll.
 cf. <[email-masked]>

* ot/mru-on-list (2017-10-01) 1 commit
 - mru: use double-linked list from list.h

 The first step to getting rid of mru API and using the
 doubly-linked list API directly instead.

 Is there any remaining issues on this one?

* jm/svn-pushmergeinfo-fix (2017-09-17) 1 commit
 - git-svn: fix svn.pushmergeinfo handling of svn+ssh usernames.

 "git svn dcommit" did not take into account the fact that a
 svn+ssh:// URL with a username@ (typically used for pushing) refers
 to the same SVN repository without the username@ and failed when
 svn.pushmergeinfo option is set.

 Needs a test, perhaps as a follow-up patch.

 Will merge to 'next'.

* bc/hash-algo (2017-11-28) 5 commits
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-28 at 5c74632345)
 + repository: fix a sparse 'using integer as NULL pointer' warning
  (merged to 'next' on 2017-11-27 at 98cc9ef2a8)
 + Switch empty tree and blob lookups to use hash abstraction
 + Integrate hash algorithm support with repo setup
 + Add structure representing hash algorithm
 + setup: expose enumerated repo info

 An infrastructure to define what hash function is used in Git is
 introduced, and an effort to plumb that throughout various
 codepaths has been started.

 Will merge to 'master'.

--------------------------------------------------
[Discarded]

* cc/object-filtering-typofix (2017-12-04) 1 commit
 - list-objects-filter-options: fix 'keword' typo in comment

 Superseded by the same fix in jh/object-filtering.