Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.14.0-rc0

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:03:32 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> As I shoot for shorter summary, going down to too much detail in
> these entries is not welcome.
>
> However, an exception is the top part of the release notes where we
> discuss backward incompatible changes etc. that helps people to
> decide the deployment strategy.  Encouraging migration from v1 to v2
> belongs there, I would think.

I added this at the end of the "Backward compatibility notes" at the
beginning of the release notes, and renamed the entire section to
"Backward compatibility notes and other notable changes."

 * Git can now be built with PCRE v2 instead of v1 of the PCRE
   library. Replace USE_LIBPCRE=YesPlease with USE_LIBPCRE2=YesPlease
   in existing build scripts to build against the new version.  As the
   upstream PCRE maintainer has abandoned v1 maintenance for all but
   the most critical bug fixes, use of v2 is recommended.

Thanks.