Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] http: expand http.cookieFile as a path

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:48:16 -0700

Brian Norris <[email-masked]> writes:

> I mostly just copied from boilerplate on another option. IIRC, there
> were at least two other options that were documented similarly.

My quick grep didn't find 'another option' other than include.path,
but how about this as a preparatory step?

-- >8 --
Subject: [PATCH] config: describe 'pathname' value type

We have a dedicated section for various value-types used in the
configuration variables already, because we needed to describe how
booleans and scaled integers can be spelled, and the pathname type
would fit there.

Adjust the description of `include.path` variable slightly to
clarify that the variable is of this type.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/config.txt | 16 +++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 13 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index 42d2b50..64a57fa 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -81,13 +81,16 @@ Includes
 
 You can include one config file from another by setting the special
 `include.path` variable to the name of the file to be included. The
+variable takes a pathname as its value, and is subject to tilde
+expansion.
+
+The
 included file is expanded immediately, as if its contents had been
 found at the location of the include directive. If the value of the
 `include.path` variable is a relative path, the path is considered to be
 relative to the configuration file in which the include directive was
-found. The value of `include.path` is subject to tilde expansion: `~/`
-is expanded to the value of `$HOME`, and `~user/` to the specified
-user's home directory. See below for examples.
+found.  See below for examples.
+
 
 Example
 ~~~~~~~
@@ -169,6 +172,13 @@ thing on the same output line (e.g. opening parenthesis before the
 list of branch names in `log --decorate` output) is set to be
 painted with `bold` or some other attribute.
 
+pathname::
+	A variable that takes a pathname value can be given a
+	string that begins with "~/" or "~user/", and the usual
+	tilde expansion happens to such a string: `~/`
+	is expanded to the value of `$HOME`, and `~user/` to the
+	specified user's home directory.
+
 
 Variables
 ~~~~~~~~~
-- 
2.8.1-521-g705491b