Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 4/4] pretty: test --expand-tabs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 23:25:24 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 09:10:46PM -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:
>
>> > +       count=$1 ;# expected tabs
>> 
>> Why semicolon before the hash here and above?
>
> I am in the habit of doing this, too. I have a vague recollection of
> getting bitten by a shell that treated:
>
>   echo foo # bar
>
> or something similar as not-a-comment. But neither bash, dash, nor ksh
> seem to.

I think the reason why I started doing the same is because some
shells can be configured to lose the comment-introducer-ness of "#"
in interactive mode, and I wanted to make sure that many things I
write can be tried out by others more easily by copy-and-paste to
their interactive session.