Subject: Re: Feature request: git bisect merge to usable base

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 14:38:40 -0800

Andy Lutomirski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Anyway, the idea of merging test commits up to some lowest common
> denominator seems generally useful to me, and the idea of specifying a
> 'prepare the checked-out tree' (as you suggested, where 'git merge
> --no-commit whatever' would be specified) would also be handy, and
> both of these are useful even in cases where git bisect run isn't
> being used.

Yes, I didn't mean to say "bisect run" is always great.  What I was
hinting at was that even if you are _not_ using "bisect run" (which
almost always _requires_ you to write a small script that does the
test and says yes/no), once you start working on a project that is
sufficiently complex (like bisecting a regression in the Linux
kernel), your procedure to build and test a single revision becomes
complex enough that it is worth to write and use a small script for
a single step _anyway_.  And with that in mind, "how do I prepare
the checked-out tree for building and testing" can be part of that
script.

Which in turn means there is nothing to add to "bisect", not even
the "--fixup my_fixup_script" I alluded to, let alone "--merge-to"
that is way too specific to the case you happened to have had before
you sent your message.