Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 5/6] clone: fix hostname parsing when guessing dir

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:53:07 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well, but there is the above "or we may not" ;-)
>
>> But actually you are right, currently I still have the old logic
>> in place that splits on colons in the path component. 
>
> Yes.  The reason why I suggested the simple route was exactly
> because I noticed that you didn't seem to care about the above
> "$site/foo:bar.git/" => "$site/foo:bar" => "bar" transform.
>
> And I think people might depend on that behaviour.  "Fixing" that
> may even be seen as a regression.
>
> When was the last time you created a [email-masked] repository?

Actually, this was an unrelated question and a wrong one to ask at
that.

Even though I personally haven't created foo:bar.git repository,
because it is no longer 2005, it is highly likely that somewhere
there is such a person who depends on the current behaviour of
turning that to "bar" on the cloned side.  Similarly, even if we the
people who read the Git mailing list collectively do not know
anybody who has [email-masked] repository, it is highly likely that
somewhere there is such a person who depends on the current
behaviour of turning that to "foo@bar" on the cloned side.

So the ideal would be to keep turning $site/foo:bar.git to bar,
$site/[email-masked] to foo@bar, and $scheme//u@p:$host/ to $host.

And it would be ideal if we do so without much code churn.  "The
whole site is dedicated to host a single repository at the root" is
a highly unlikely set-up and it feels wasteful to spend too much
effort on.