Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] doc: give examples for send-email cc-cmd operation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 11:58:50 -0700

"Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:

>>   It is an
>> unacceptable hack for us to encourage in the longer term.  It may
>> happen to work with the current implementation, but it does so
>> merely by depending on the implementation too much.
>>
>> If it is so common to want to spray all your patches to exactly the
>> same list of recipients that is unconditionally determined, having
>
> It wasn't 'unconditional spraying' ;-), rather I'd carefully select
> who to send to for each series, ...

I meant unconditional in the sense that all messages in the series
will get exactly the same cc: list (instead of the cc-cmd inspecting
each message and deciding whom to include conditionally).

>> I would think that it would probably be the best way to address "I
>> often want to cc these recipients, but not always" is to keep a list
>> of aliases, each entry of which expands to the recipients, and say
>> "--cc=group" from the command line to have it expanded to the set of
>> recipients.

I think one of the topics that was reviewed and queued during this
cycle will help the above (it may not be in 'master' yet hence not
in 2.5, but there always is the next release), where it made sure
that alias expansion happens more consistently than before.