Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Documentation/git: fix stale "MULTIPLE CHECKOUT MODE" reference

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 14:09:35 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Thanks.  I have two comments.
>>
>> "if using Cogito etc.", which is totally outside the topic of this
>> patch, is way outdated. Perhaps we would want to remove or replace
>> it.
>
> Do you want me to re-roll the current patch to also include the
> "Cogito" change as a "while here..." add-on?

No.  That is totally outside the topic of this patch series.

> Also, I have v3 of "rid git-checkout of too-intimate knowledge of new
> worktree"[1] ready to roll. Do you want me to fold the current
> patch[2] and its brother [3] into v3?

I think I took them and merged them to 'master' today.

> ... since he plans
> on adding more tests[4] when fixing the can't-clone-a-linked-worktree
> problem.)

I saw that issue myself yesterday, too, I think, with a failed
attempt to fetch from one.  I do not think it is such a huge issue
in a sense that we can always say "don't do that", as cloning and
fetching only from the primary location is not something that would
make users feel unnatural.  After all, we sell this as "allowing
secondary checkout", meaning that it is perfectly OK for us to keep
secondaries second-class citizens compared to the primary one.  So
being able to fetch from and clone from is "nice to have".

> Other than that, the only consumer of GIT_COMMON_DIR seems to be
> setup.c, and, based upon a quick scan, it looks like it can be easily
> dropped, thus alleviating your concerns (but hopefully as a series
> separate from v3 of [1] which I'd like to see land).

One step at a time is perfectly fine.  We will be cautioning users
to avoid storing the only copy of their data in repositories that
employ this feature for a few releases until it matures by marking
it experimental exactly so that we can tweak external interfaces
like that incrementally.

Thanks.