Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 7/7] send-email: suppress leading and trailing whitespaces before alias expansion

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:15:15 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Remi Lespinet <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I agree, I'd like to put it right after split_at_commas in a separate
>>> function "trim_list". Is it a good idea even if the function is one
>>> line long ?
>>
>> Hmph, if I have "A, B, C" and call a function that gives an array of
>> addresses, treating the input as comma-separated addresses, I would
>> expect ("A", "B", "C") to be returned from that function, instead of
>> having to later trim the whitespace around what is returned.
>
> It is actually doing this. But if you have " A,B,C  ", then you'll get
> " A", "B", "C  ". But once you're trimming around commas, trimming
> leading and trailing spaces fits well with split itself.

I guess we are saying the same thing, then?  That is, trim-list as a
separate step does not make sense an it is part of the job for the
helper to turn a single list with multiple addresses into an array?