Subject: Re: [PATCH] bisect: print abbrev sha1 for first bad commit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 09:54:15 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I'd argue for simply never showing the diff (dropping the "opt.diff = 1"
>>> line from bisect.c:show_diff_tree), but that is mostly my personal
>>> opinion.
>>
>> Yeah, I think that is sensible. It may even be OK to just give a
>> "log --oneline".
>
> Or maybe we could let the user configure the diff options or even the
> command used when the first bad commit is found?

That is a separate discussion.  I do not mind but I doubt many
people would use it (I was tempted to say "doubt anybody would", but
then was reminded how many people use Git, and toned it down), as
long as we have a good default.  And I thought that this discussion
was about coming up with a good-enough default.

To be bluntly honest, I think the current one is sufficient as a
good-enough default.  The first thing I would do after seeing that
message is to either "git checkout <commit-object-name>" or "git
show <commit-object-name>", and the current full 40-hex output gives
me an easier mouse-double-click target than the proposed abbreviated
one, so in that sense the original proposal may even be a usability
regression.

It is tempting to say that the output can be eliminated by always
checking out the first-bad-commit (i.e. only when the last answer
that led to the first-bad decision was "good", do a "git checkout"
of that bad commit), but in a project where a branch switching is
not instantaneous, that might be problematic (unless the first step
the user would have done is to check it out anyway, of course).