Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/4] git-credential-store: support multiple credential files

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 15:14:18 -0700

Paul Tan <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I think you could even get away without passing default_fn here, and
>> just use the rule "the first file in the list is the default". Unless
>> you are anticipating ever passing something else, but I couldn't think
>> of a case where that would be useful.
>
> Even though in this case the store_credential() function is not used
> anywhere else, from my personal API design experience I think that
> cementing the rule of "the first file in the list is the default" in
> the behavior of the function is not a good thing. For example, in the
> future, we may wish to keep the precedence ordering the same, but if
> none of the credential files exist, we create the XDG file by default
> instead.

I am not sure if this is not a premature over-engineering---I am not
convinced that such a future need will be fulfilled by passing just
a single default_fn this version already passes, or it needs even
more parameters that this version does not pass yet, and the
interface to the function needs to be updated at that point when you
need it _anyways_. One thing that we all agree is that we don't need
the extra parameter within the context of what the current code does.

So, it smells like a case of YAGNI a bit, at least to me.