Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-push.txt: document the behavior of --repo

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:12:49 -0800

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +       This option is equivalent to the <repository> argument; the latter
>> +       wins if both are specified.
>
> To what does "latter" refer in this case? (I presume it means the
> standalone <repository> argument, though the text feels ambiguous.)
>
> Also, both the standalone argument and the right-hand-side of --repo=
> are spelled "<repository>", so there may be potential for confusion
> when talking about <repository> (despite the subsequent "argument").
> Perhaps qualifying it as "_standalone_ <repository> argument" might
> help.

I didn't find that "latter" too hard to understand (I admit that my
reading stuttered there, though).

I do not think saying "standalone <repository> argument" there would
help very much, because there is no mention of "standalone" around
there.  The earlier part of the sentence mentions "option" and
"argument", so "the repository specified as an argument is used if
both this option and an argument are given" or something?