Subject: Re: [PATCH] Copy mergetool "bc3" as "bc4"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:40:23 -0700

Sebastian Schuberth <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Perhaps something like this, so that existing users can still use
>> "bc3" and other people can use "bc" if it bothers them that they
>> have to say "3" when the backend driver works with both 3 and 4?
>
> That indeed sounds like the best approach.
>
>> --- a/git-mergetool--lib.sh
>> +++ b/git-mergetool--lib.sh
>> @@ -250,7 +250,7 @@ list_merge_tool_candidates () {
>>   			tools="opendiff kdiff3 tkdiff xxdiff meld $tools"
>>   		fi
>>   		tools="$tools gvimdiff diffuse diffmerge ecmerge"
>> -		tools="$tools p4merge araxis bc3 codecompare"
>> +		tools="$tools p4merge araxis bc bc3 codecompare"
>
> Why keep bc3 here?

I didn't carefully look at the code that uses this list to see if we
have to list everything or can list just the ones we recommend, and
erred on the safer side (unlike the one for completion where I
omitted bc3 as "deprecated").

I'll let mergetools experts decide when rolling the final patch ;-)

> And shouldn't we update git-gui/lib/mergetool.tcl, too?

Yes we should, but git-gui is not in my bailiwick, and shouldn't be
done relative to my tree anyway.  I'll Cc this message to Pat.

Thanks.