Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] tag: support configuring --sort via .gitconfig

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:03:53 -0700

"Keller, Jacob E" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 10:17 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 01:33:56PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
>> >
>> >> I realize that I am reinventing the error-reporting wheel on a sleepy
>> >> Sunday afternoon without having thought about it much, so there is
>> >> probably some gotcha or case that makes this ugly, or perhaps it just
>> >> ends up verbose in practice. But one can dream.
>> >
>> > Just for fun...
>> 
>> Yes, that is fun.
>> 
>> I actually think your "In 'version:pefname' and 'wersion:refname',
>> we want be able to report 'pefname' and 'wersion' are misspelled,
>> and returning -1 or enum would not cut it" is a good argument.  The
>> callee wants to have flexibility on _what_ to report, just as the
>> caller wants to have flexibility on _how_.  In this particular code
>> path, I think the former far outweighs the latter, and my suggestion
>> I called "silly" might not be so silly but may have struck the right
>> balance.  I dunno.
>> 
>> If you absolutely need to have both, you would need something like
>> your approach, of course, but I am not sure if it is worth it.
>> 
>> I am not sure how well this meshes with i18n (I know the "for fun"
>> does not even attempt to, but if we tried to, I suspect it may
>> become even uglier).  We would also need to override both error and
>> warning routines and have the reporter tag the errors in these two
>> categories, no?
>
> Do we want to go this way?

I do not speak for Peff, but I personally think this is just a "fun"
demonstration, nothing more, and my gut feeling is that it would
make things unnecessary complex without much real gain to pursue it
further.