Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] tag: support configuring --sort via .gitconfig

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:17:40 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 01:33:56PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
>
>> I realize that I am reinventing the error-reporting wheel on a sleepy
>> Sunday afternoon without having thought about it much, so there is
>> probably some gotcha or case that makes this ugly, or perhaps it just
>> ends up verbose in practice. But one can dream.
>
> Just for fun...

Yes, that is fun.

I actually think your "In 'version:pefname' and 'wersion:refname',
we want be able to report 'pefname' and 'wersion' are misspelled,
and returning -1 or enum would not cut it" is a good argument.  The
callee wants to have flexibility on _what_ to report, just as the
caller wants to have flexibility on _how_.  In this particular code
path, I think the former far outweighs the latter, and my suggestion
I called "silly" might not be so silly but may have struck the right
balance.  I dunno.

If you absolutely need to have both, you would need something like
your approach, of course, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

I am not sure how well this meshes with i18n (I know the "for fun"
does not even attempt to, but if we tried to, I suspect it may
become even uglier).  We would also need to override both error and
warning routines and have the reporter tag the errors in these two
categories, no?