Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/11] git p4 tests and a few bug fixes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:03:35 -0800

Pete Wyckoff <[email-masked]> writes:

> Most of this is work on tests for git p4.
>
> Patch 03 is a regression fix, found and narrowed down thanks to
> much work by Damien Gérard.  But it is obscure enough that I'm
> not proposing it for a maintenance release.
>
> There are a couple other behavior fixes, but again, these
> are quite minor and can wait for the next release.

Thanks.

I am inclined to say that we should queue this on a fork from
'maint, merge the result to 'master' before 1.9-rc1 and ship the
result as part of the upcoming release, and then possibly merging
the topic to 1.8.5.x maintenance release after that.

This is primarily because I personally do not have p4 expertise to
test or properly judge this (iow, you are the area maintainer, the
authority), and I somehow have this feeling that parking in 'next'
for extended period of time would not give meaningfully larger
exposure to the code.

What do you think?

If you feel uneasy about such a fast-track, I wouldn't push it,
though.

> Pete Wyckoff (11):
>   git p4 test: wildcards are supported
>   git p4 test: ensure p4 symlink parsing works
>   git p4: work around p4 bug that causes empty symlinks
>   git p4 test: explicitly check p4 wildcard delete
>   git p4 test: is_cli_file_writeable succeeds
>   git p4 test: run as user "author"
>   git p4 test: do not pollute /tmp
>   git p4: handle files with wildcards when doing RCS scrubbing
>   git p4: fix an error message when "p4 where" fails
>   git p4 test: examine behavior with locked (+l) files
>   git p4 doc: use two-line style for options with multiple spellings
>
>  Documentation/git-p4.txt           |   6 +-
>  git-p4.py                          |  17 +++--
>  t/lib-git-p4.sh                    |  23 +++++-
>  t/t9802-git-p4-filetype.sh         |  83 +++++++++++++++++++++
>  t/t9805-git-p4-skip-submit-edit.sh |   6 +-
>  t/t9807-git-p4-submit.sh           |   2 +-
>  t/t9809-git-p4-client-view.sh      |  16 ++--
>  t/t9812-git-p4-wildcards.sh        |  50 +++++++++++++
>  t/t9813-git-p4-preserve-users.sh   |  38 ++++------
>  t/t9816-git-p4-locked.sh           | 145 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  10 files changed, 342 insertions(+), 44 deletions(-)
>  create mode 100755 t/t9816-git-p4-locked.sh