Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Reject non-ff pulls by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 15:38:58 -0700

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Junio already sent a similar patch, but I think this is simpler.
>>
>> I agree that this is simpler, but I am not sure if the behaviour is
>> necessarily better (note that this is different from saying "I think
>> the behaviour of this patch is worse").  The motivation I read from
>> the original discussion was that new people did "git pull" (no other
>> parameters) to "sync my tree with the central repository" as if it
>> were SVN, and because we are not SVN, projects that prefer rebases
>> were unhappy, and the other one was to address *only* that use case.
>> I do not personally like that special casing (i.e. "only when no
>> 'integrate with what from where' is given"), and applying the "you
>> must be explicit between rebase and merge" like this series does
>> uniformly might (or might not) be a good thing.  I dunno.
>
> As I already said; there's is essentially no difference between "git
> pull" and "git pull origin".

We know what you said earlier. That does not make it right or wrong,
but I do not think it is in line with the original discussion (that
is why John Keeping is kept on the Cc: line).

>> The difference in changes needed to the test suite is illustrative;
>> this series affects any use of "git pull" (with or without explicit
>> "what to integrate with and from where"), unlike the other one that
>> only affects the case where "git pull" was not given "what to
>> integrate with and from where".  I think an earlier draft I did for
>> the previous one did not special case "only when no 'integrate with
>> what from where' is given" and had to touch all the places in the
>> test in a similar way.
>
> Yeah, that version affects less, but it also doesn't achieve what we
> actually want.

I do not think we know what we want is to affect "git pull origin".