Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] curl: fix integer constant typechecks with curl_easy_setopt()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2025 09:04:15 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mine was driven by the failing `osx-gcc` job, and curiously after
> (changing all the `l`s to `L`s and) rebasing to your series, I still have
> this:

Thanks.  Will queue but we probably want to reword the proposed log
message to also refer to Peff's changes (i.e. "That series covered
some, but here are a bit more")?

> -- snip --

I have been meaning to raise this since this is probably third or
fourth time in the recent past, but every time I forgot to do so
X-<.  This is not something "am -c" recognises as a scissors line.

I'll queue this on top of the other three-patch series.

Thanks.

--- >8 ---
From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2025 12:57:35 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] curl: pass `long` values where expected

A set of patches posted by Jeff King earlier covered some fallouts
coming from new typecheck warnings cURL 8.14.0.  Here are to fix
some more instances of the same new compile errors observed in the
`osx-gcc` job of Git's CI builds.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 http-push.c   |  6 +++---
 http.c        | 22 +++++++++++-----------
 remote-curl.c |  6 +++---
 3 files changed, 17 insertions(+), 17 deletions(-)

diff --git a/http-push.c b/http-push.c
index 591e46ab26..f5a92529a8 100644
--- a/http-push.c
+++ b/http-push.c
@@ -205,7 +205,7 @@ static void curl_setup_http(CURL *curl, const char *url,
 		const char *custom_req, struct buffer *buffer,
 		curl_write_callback write_fn)
 {
-	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1);
+	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1L);
 	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, url);
 	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_INFILE, buffer);
 	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_INFILESIZE, buffer->buf.len);
@@ -213,9 +213,9 @@ static void curl_setup_http(CURL *curl, const char *url,
 	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_SEEKFUNCTION, seek_buffer);
 	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_SEEKDATA, buffer);
 	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION, write_fn);
-	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 0);
+	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 0L);
 	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST, custom_req);
-	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1);
+	curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1L);
 }
 
 static struct curl_slist *get_dav_token_headers(struct remote_lock *lock, enum dav_header_flag options)
diff --git a/http.c b/http.c
index ecbc47ea4b..d88e79fbde 100644
--- a/http.c
+++ b/http.c
@@ -1540,9 +1540,9 @@ struct active_request_slot *get_active_slot(void)
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION, NULL);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, NULL);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDSIZE, -1L);
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 0);
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_HTTPGET, 1);
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 1);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 0L);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_HTTPGET, 1L);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 1L);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_RANGE, NULL);
 
 	/*
@@ -1551,9 +1551,9 @@ struct active_request_slot *get_active_slot(void)
 	 * HTTP_FOLLOW_* cases themselves.
 	 */
 	if (http_follow_config == HTTP_FOLLOW_ALWAYS)
-		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1);
+		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1L);
 	else
-		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 0);
+		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 0L);
 
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_IPRESOLVE, git_curl_ipresolve);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH, http_auth_methods);
@@ -2120,12 +2120,12 @@ static int http_request(const char *url,
 	int ret;
 
 	slot = get_active_slot();
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_HTTPGET, 1);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_HTTPGET, 1L);
 
 	if (!result) {
-		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 1);
+		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 1L);
 	} else {
-		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 0);
+		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 0L);
 		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, result);
 
 		if (target == HTTP_REQUEST_FILE) {
@@ -2151,7 +2151,7 @@ static int http_request(const char *url,
 		strbuf_addstr(&buf, " no-cache");
 	if (options && options->initial_request &&
 	    http_follow_config == HTTP_FOLLOW_INITIAL)
-		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1);
+		curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1L);
 
 	headers = curl_slist_append(headers, buf.buf);
 
@@ -2170,7 +2170,7 @@ static int http_request(const char *url,
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_URL, url);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, headers);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_ENCODING, "");
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 0);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 0L);
 
 	ret = run_one_slot(slot, &results);
 
@@ -2750,7 +2750,7 @@ struct http_object_request *new_http_object_request(const char *base_url,
 	freq->headers = object_request_headers();
 
 	curl_easy_setopt(freq->slot->curl, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, freq);
-	curl_easy_setopt(freq->slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 0);
+	curl_easy_setopt(freq->slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 0L);
 	curl_easy_setopt(freq->slot->curl, CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION, fwrite_sha1_file);
 	curl_easy_setopt(freq->slot->curl, CURLOPT_ERRORBUFFER, freq->errorstr);
 	curl_easy_setopt(freq->slot->curl, CURLOPT_URL, freq->url);
diff --git a/remote-curl.c b/remote-curl.c
index 6183772191..b8bc3a80cf 100644
--- a/remote-curl.c
+++ b/remote-curl.c
@@ -970,8 +970,8 @@ static int post_rpc(struct rpc_state *rpc, int stateless_connect, int flush_rece
 
 	slot = get_active_slot();
 
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 0);
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_NOBODY, 0L);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_POST, 1L);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_URL, rpc->service_url);
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_ENCODING, "");
 
@@ -1058,7 +1058,7 @@ static int post_rpc(struct rpc_state *rpc, int stateless_connect, int flush_rece
 	rpc_in_data.check_pktline = stateless_connect;
 	memset(&rpc_in_data.pktline_state, 0, sizeof(rpc_in_data.pktline_state));
 	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, &rpc_in_data);
-	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 0);
+	curl_easy_setopt(slot->curl, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 0L);

 	rpc->any_written = 0;
-- 
2.50.0-rc1-198-g2c07f1279d