Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] scalar: add --no-maintenance option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2025 09:38:36 -0700

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is the right solution to move the toggle_maintenance() out of
> register_dir()? If this is the only way we plan to customize the
> config, then yes. Otherwise, the second or third customization will
> start to lead to copied logic through these three locations.

It is mostly philosophical, I think, but I actually think the
callers that are allowed to be different is a good thing.  The
callers can pass different parameters to register_dir(), but the
distinction between these different callers would become more subtle
and not immediately obvious to readers.  With an explicit call to
toggle_maintenance() at each callsite, it becomes more obvious to
see who sets up the maintenance job and how.

If this is and will stay the only way, I would not care too much
either way, but if we are planning to extend, then I would say that
it is more important to allow callers to be more explicit.

Besides, you'd need to call toggle_maintenance() to disable it in a
caller outside register_dir(), so it is not like you can hide the
tweaks from readers of the code and make it appear to be simpler.
They need to be aware of what goes on anyway.