Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] repack: begin combining cruft packs with `--combine-cruft-below-size`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 09:30:14 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> @@ -81,6 +81,14 @@ to the new separate pack will be written.
>  	`--max-pack-size` (if any) by default. See the documentation for
>  	`--max-pack-size` for more details.
>  
> +--combine-cruft-below-size=<n>::
> +	When generating cruft packs without pruning, only repack
> +	existing cruft packs whose size is strictly less than `<n>`.
> +	Cruft packs whose size is greater than or equal to `<n>` are
> +	left as-is and not repacked. Useful when you want to avoid
> +	repacking large cruft pack(s) in repositories that have many
> +	and/or large unreachable objects.
> +

Shared with existing entries in this file, but let's strive to make
sure we explicitly mention units.  --max-cruft-size=<n> is explained
to cramp below '<n>' bytes, which is great, --max-pack-size=<n> says
it accepts k/m/g suffixes and its minimum size is 1 MiB, which is
explicit enough hint that this is counted in bytes.  This new entry
should hint that this is also counted in bytes.