Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] add -p: mark split hunks as undecided

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2025 09:06:42 -0800

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... There was some talk a while ago about
> adding a mechanism to select "git 3.0" features at build or run
> time. If we add something like that I'll resubmit with this change
> guarded by that feature.

Documentation/BreakingChanges says that we can hide it behind
WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES compile-time switch, and that is part of
2.49-rc0 already.  The linux-breaking-changes GitHub Actions CI job
runs with it defined.

> Perhaps we should make the confirm-before-quitting thing a "git 3.0"
> feature as well?

I do not feel too strongly either way.  Sometimes I wish it asked
for the final confirmation after all hunks are decided.  Most of the
time I do not feel that way, which almost always is after saying 'q'
to finish the selection.  So I dunno, but my thinking right now is
that I lean a bit toward negative than positive.

In any case, I think we should indicate the (selected, deselected,
undecided) for the current hunk the user is being asked about, which
we talked about. As a workaround, we can do 'g' command to see the
list of hunks and check the indicator (+/ /-) for each hunk.