Subject: Re: [GSOC][PATCH v2] t6422: avoid suppressing Git’s exit code in tests

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2025 12:47:43 -0800

Ayush Chandekar <[email-masked]> writes:

Thanks for practicing yet another iteration.  I am not going to
actually replace the previous one with this one, as the previous one
is just OK, but let's pretend I would to complete the "simulated"
iteration.

Below, pretend that we will discard the previous one and replace it
with this one, and plan to merge the result to 'next', but that is
only for practice.

---

> Subject: Re: [GSOC][PATCH v2] t6422: avoid suppressing Git’s exit code in tests

This is about 6423 ;-)  I'll amend while applying the patch.

> Some test in t6423 supress Git's exit code, which can cause test
> failures go unnoticed. Specifically using git <subcommand> |
> <other-command> masks potential failures of the Git command.
>
> Instead of executing a Git command as the upstream component of
> a pipe, which can result in the exit status being lost, redirect
> its output to a file and then process that file in two steps to
> ensure the exit status is properly preserved.
>
> Signed-off-by: Ayush Chandekar <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t6423-merge-rename-directories.sh | 9 ++++++---
>  1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

OK.  And the change to the test body to lose input redirection into
"uniq" look OK, too.

Thanks.  Let's replace it and mark the topic for 'next'.