Subject: Re: Usability issue: "Your branch is up to date"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2025 08:56:20 -0800

Manuel Quiñones <[email-masked]> writes:

> that can be fetched from the remote. My proposal: Add the timestamp of
> the last fetch to the message. For example:
>
> ```
> $ git switch main
> Switched to branch 'main'
> Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'. Last check was 2 hours ago.
> ```
>
> It looks like the timestamp of file `.git/FETCH_HEAD` would be enough
> to implement it.

Not generally.  Your last fetch may not have been about origin/main
(e.g., "git fetch origin next"), or it may even have been about a
totally different remote (e.g., "git fetch elsewhere").

The timestamp of the last entry of the reflog of origin/main may be
a lot better place to look for the information, if available.