Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6][Outreachy] Introduce os-version Capability with Configurable Options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2025 12:15:34 -0800

Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]> writes:

> Do you have any concerns "git/2.47.1 Windows" instead of
> "Windows git/2.47.1" ?

Either is fine.  I expect that

 (1) Implementors on _our_ side will do the sensible thing and
     reviewers help them to make sure, where the definition of "the
     sensible thing" will be that whatever order we pick, we
     consistently use that same order.  If "git/2.47.1 Windows" is
     how GfW identifies itself, "git/2.48.1 Linux" or "git/2.49.0
     macOS" would be its contemporary counterparts, and _our_
     binaries would not identify themselves as "Linux git/2.49.0".

 (2) Implementors of third-party reimplementations of Git will just
     mimick what we will do, as long as we tell them our intention
     (i.e. this is a single opaque unparsable string to be collected
     for statistics, nothing more) clearly enough.

 (3) Most users are lazy and/or trusting enough that only a very few
     minority privacy conscious folks would configure it away,
     making their "IamNotTellingYou" agent string merely an
     insignificant noise in the statistics.