Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2025, #05; Fri, 17)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2025 14:13:07 -0800

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2025 at 12:30:08PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > On 1/17/25 7:42 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> >
>> >> * ds/name-hash-tweaks (2024-12-20) 8 commits
>> ...
>> I am happy with the updated function that gives us better of both
>> worlds, without losing too much from the "renamed from other
>> directory" while making sure we do not lose too many bits in deeper
>> trees.
>
> I had a couple of thoughts that I meant to share before the holiday
> break, and haven't quite had a chance to get to it now that I'm back at
> my desk.
>
> Let me try and find some time to respond to the latest round of this
> series, and apologies for holding it up in the meantime.

The topic has been stalled for unusually long time, so it won't hurt
too much for it to wait for a few more days, but it wouldn't be fair
to stall a topic further with just a promise to "try and find time"
forever.  Let's say we'll go ahead by this weekend unless we hear
otherwise?

I am not ultra-happy with the last step, as I personally do not see
this different algorithm as "version" (in that people would always
want to use version N+1 over version N when both are available) but
as "variant" (in that there may be prefer to use variant N over
variant N+1 depending on the circumstances), but that may be just
the matter of terminology.  What's important is to make sure we do
not mix two algorhtims up while creating a packfile.

Thanks.