Subject: Re: [PATCH v14 03/10] refs: standardize output of refs_read_symbolic_ref

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2024 05:02:24 +0900

karthik nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

> With v14, running `git log --check --pretty=format:"---% h% s" master..`
> gives me:
> ...
>   --- fed56bc6cc refs: standardize output of refs_read_symbolic_ref
>   refs/reftable-backend.c:833: indent with spaces.
>   +        if (ret)
>   refs/reftable-backend.c:834: indent with spaces.
>   +                ret = -1;
> ...

Thanks, the above matches what I saw in my message Bence responded
to (to which you are responding).  I was unsure if/how the status of
each "diff --check" is propagated up to the driving "git log", but
the job is reading from the output of the command and not using the
exit status of "git log --check", so even if "git log --check" did
not signal a check failure with its status, it did not matter ;-) A
quick local check says "git log --check" does exit with 2 if there
is an offending commit in the range, so we should be OK.

By the way, I appreciate the cuteness of "% s" but I do not see the
point of "% h", as I do not think of a situation where '%h' can ever
be empty.  It seems that this was carried from the first day when
GitHub CI learned the whitespace checks 32c83afc (ci: github action
- add check for whitespace errors, 2020-09-22).