Subject: Re: Best practices for indicating what address to send patches to?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 07:21:33 -0700

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion on how to indicate
> where to send a patch to.  Ideally I'd like to have "sendemail.to"
> configured on cloning, but that isn't possible IIUC.  There also doesn't
> seem to be a conventional file like ".git-email" that would list where
> to send a patch, without having to look it up.
>
> Is this intentional, has it been discussed in the past or is there the
> chance that it might be improved upon in the future?

The usual convention is to have the patch submission address (if a
project uses e-mail based patch as its workflow) together with other
rules and guidelines the contributors are expected to adhere to in
documents like README, CONTRIBUTING, etc.  As an e-mailed patch that
does not follow established conventions is not necessarily useful to
the receiving projects, it is a good practice to put these pieces of
information crucial to start contributing in a single place.

It would not be an improvement to add a mechanism to make it easier
to find "here is the address" to a reader who hasn't even discovered
where these contributor guide documents are.

Thanks.