Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/27] Compile with `-Wwrite-strings`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2024 09:59:51 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Changes compared to v2:
>
>   - I have split up the second patch into multiple patches. This was
>     done so that we can have a deeper look at the respective sites that
>     need adjustment.

We will see how well this helps reviewer.

>   - I dropped the local string arrays that I used in v2 and instead now
>     use string constants with casts in some places where we expect that
>     those should never be written to. This has the benefit that we would
>     segfault in case that expectation is violated, instead of silently
>     allowing a write to those local arrays.

Nice.

>   - I adapted multiple commit messages to not only mention freeing of
>     string constants, but also that writing to string constants is
>     illegal.

Nice again.

> Due to the split-up patch the range-diff got quite messy and was barely
> readable anymore. I thus included an interdiff instead, which should be
> way easier to read.

Triply nice.

Thanks.