Subject: Re: [Q] rebase -i: turn "pick" to "edit", make no change, what should happen?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 08:17:55 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I quite frequently use "edit" just to inspect commits, stop at random
> points in the history, run tests and whatnot. So this would be a UX
> regression for me because I do not want to change commit messages and
> don't want to be bothered.

I sometimes (ab)use the "edit" exactly like that myself, so a
simple-minded unconditional change of behaviour would be a UX
regression to me as well.

> With the introduction of the "break" command you can certainly argue
> that "edit" is the wrong command to use in my case. Muscle memory is
> hard to retrain though :)

Yes, with a vim macro or its Emacs equivalent, it should be just as
easy as doing "s/^pick /edit /" to insert "break" after every line
that begins with "pick ", but "just as easy" is still an unwanted
forced change to the end-users.  If I really wanted to, the right
and only way out is to introduce a new insn similar to "edit" but
behaves more like what I said earlier.

Thanks.