Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] remove parameter (prefix) from trace_repo_setup

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:56:32 -0800

Idriss Fekir <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: idriss fekir <[email-masked]>

This blank space is for you to explain why this is a good thing to
do, which is missing here.

> diff --git a/trace.c b/trace.c
> index 794a087c21..316070a43e 100644
> --- a/trace.c
> +++ b/trace.c
> @@ -292,9 +292,9 @@ static const char *quote_crnl(const char *path)
>  }
>  
>  /* FIXME: move prefix to startup_info struct and get rid of this arg */

I do not think this comment was meant as an instruction to BLINDLY
remove the parameter and instead use from startup_info.  Instead,
the "FIX" in "FIXME" would involve that whoever does the fix checks
the caller that reaches this function and makes sure that "prefix"
value the caller passes exactly matches what is in the prefix member
of the startup_info.  Documenting that work should become a major
part of the proposed log message.  After doing that, this comment
is no longer valid and needs to be removed.

> -void trace_repo_setup(const char *prefix)
> +void trace_repo_setup()

"void trace_repo_setup(void)"

> -void trace_repo_setup(const char *prefix);
> +void trace_repo_setup();

"void trace_repo_setup(void);"

Thanks.