Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] fsck: downgrade tree badFilemode to "info"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 09:24:51 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree with the "it was so long ago it does not matter", but for the
> sake of posterity, here's what my digging found:
> ...

That's indeed an ancient history.  Thanks for a funny find.  I
forgot all about the linked list of tree entries.

> Again, probably not important, but it was interesting for me at least to
> see the evolution of the tree code. Most of those changes predate my
> involvement with the code.

Yeah, your name didn't appear in the history leading to the version
with linked list of tree entries, but by the time it was converted
to more modern "update_tree_entry()" interface, you had a handful of
commits already.

The main codepath never cared about zero-padded octal (we used to
use sscanf "%o", and these days get_mode() does it manually), but
there used to be Git implementations that zero-padded the mode
(e.g. "040000") that we need to warn about.  Both in code before and
after 15b5536ee4, we peek into the bytes directly and check '0',
independent from parsing the octal string into 'mode'.  I found that
interesting (no, there is nothing to fix, just a fun read).

Thanks.