Subject: Re: [PATCH v6] ls-files: introduce "--format" option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 07:34:28 -0700

ZheNing Hu <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > +test_expect_success 'setup' '
>> > +     echo o1 >o1 &&
>> > +     echo o2 >o2 &&
>> > +     git add o1 o2 &&
>> > +     git add --chmod +x o1 &&
>> > +     git commit -m base
>> > +'
>>
>> Apparently, this set-up is too trivial to uncover the above bug that
>> can be spotted in 10 seconds of staring at the code.  Perhaps add a
>> symbolic link (use "git update-index --cacheinfo" and you do not
>> have to worry about Windows), a subdirectory and a submodule?
>
> Ah, Just looking at the c code, I took a long time (more than 10 minutes) to
> find out where the mistake was.

It is OK---it tends to take a lot more time than it should for all
of us, experienced developers included, to find mistakes in our own
code than code written by other people.

> But yeah, use a subdirectory can quickly meet the error, so I need
> to add more cases here.

A pure sub-"directory" would not, I suspect.  A submodule or a
symbolic link would.