Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/10] t5540: don't rely on "hook/post-update.sample"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 13:06:38 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Change code added in a87679339c0 (test: rename http fetch and push
> test files, 2014-02-06) to stop relying on the "exec git
> update-server-info" in "templates/hooks--post-update.sample", let's
> instead inline the expected hook in the test itself.

For this particular hook, it indeed is a good change, as future
post-update samples we ship may have something quite different.

I do not know if it is a good idea in general, though.  We want
to promise shipping certain sample scripts as part of the default
install, and the default install is what our tests check.  We want
to keep something that ensures the default install does ship the
sample we want to include, and such tests do need to rely on the
presence of .sample files.  But this script does not need to be
the one to do so.

>  	git --bare update-server-info &&
> -	mv hooks/post-update.sample hooks/post-update &&
> +	write_script hooks/post-update <<-\EOF &&
> +	exec git update-server-info
> +	EOF
>  	ORIG_HEAD=$(git rev-parse --verify HEAD) &&
>  	cd - &&
>  	mv test_repo.git "$HTTPD_DOCUMENT_ROOT_PATH"

OK.

We might want to deprecate and remove the support for dumb walkers,
but until then, this looks superb.

Thanks.