Subject: Re: v2.35.0 DEVELOPER=1 regression

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 15:57:48 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Wow, that sounds horribly broken.
>>
>> Yes, but it's also working as designed :) We're erroring because the C
>> library headers on the OS aren't C99-compliant. That it would apply to
>> only git.git's sources was only ever wishful thinking.
>
> No, C library supporting only C11 is perfectly fine.  On such a
> system, the compiler shouldn't even support -std=gnu99.  That is
> what I consider broken.

Or, the system headers should be arranged in such a way that
depending on __STDC_VERSION__, it should refrain from using features
of the language that is not supported.  So supporting -std=gnu99 in
their compilers may not be a bug---but in that case, their system
headers are buggy.

Anyway.  I think <[email-masked]> shows a viable way
forward.