Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/1] grep: align default colors with GNU grep ones

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 13:59:39 -0800

Lénaïc Huard <[email-masked]> writes:

> git-grep shares a lot of options with the standard grep tool.
> Like GNU grep, it has coloring options to highlight the matching text.
> And like it, it has options to customize the various colored parts.
>
> This patch updates the default git-grep colors to make them match the
> GNU grep default ones [1].
>
> It was possible to get the same result by setting the various `color.grep.<slot>`
> options, but this patch makes `git grep --color` share the same color scheme as
> `grep --color` by default without any user configuration.

I am not a huge fan of adjusting our defaults to other people's
default, since it will lead do an inevitable "Why don't they adjust
to match ours?" question, plus "We've been happily using the default
coloring, and you suddenly changed it to something ugly. We want our
color back and we do not care that now you match what GNU does".

The UI color choice is so personal, which does not help us either.

Having said that, I'll keep an eye on what others say on this
thread.

Thanks.