Subject: Re: [PATCH] docs: .gitignore parsing is to the top of the repo

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 18:20:27 -0700

"Andrew Berry" <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Line rewrapping makes it hard to see what actually got changed,
>
> To check, that's asked for, correct? Or is it better to do one commit
> with the word changes, another to clean up the wrapping?

We do not encourage one-word-per-line or other silliness, but as
long as the source is readable enough, there is no need for line
re-wrapping, and I suspect that principle would apply.

>> Another tangent.  The discovery process used for the .gitattributes
>> files is identical to what is done to the .gitignore files; we may
>> want to make sure that the explanation we give in our documentation
>> won't cause the same confusion you are trying to avoid with this
>> change.  Such a fix does not have to be (and probably should not be)
>> a part of this change, though.
>
> I'm out of the office for the next week, but otherwise I'm glad to
> take that on when I'm back if no one else picks it up.

Here is how we describe the .gitattributes side:

    When deciding what attributes are assigned to a path, Git
    consults `$GIT_DIR/info/attributes` file (which has the highest
    precedence), `.gitattributes` file in the same directory as the
    path in question, and its parent directories up to the toplevel of the
    work tree (the further the directory that contains `.gitattributes`
    is from the path in question, the lower its precedence). Finally
    global and system-wide files are considered (they have the lowest
    precedence).

I think we are already good on this side.

Thanks.