Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] hooks: propose project configured hooks

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:50:30 -0700

Ed Maste <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes - this is what I'm wondering about. It seems this information is
> not available other than by inspecting config.mak.uname or reading
> mailing list archives. I can also look at .travis.yml, .cirrus.yml,
> and .github/workflows/main.yml to get a sense of the platforms
> supported by Git's CI. That includes at least various versions or
> flavours of Linux, macOS, Windows, and FreeBSD. Is it worth putting a
> sentence or two in README.md about this?

I do not think that README, which is end-user facing, is a good
place for that.

If anything, I am inclined to say that developer facing documents
like SubmittingPatches and CodingGuidelines may be a better place to
say that things are expected to work on X, Y and Z platforms, but I
would think it is perfectly OK to start with a new feature that
works only on, say, macOS, and leave it unimplemented for other
platforms until somebody who is motivated enough to help fills the
gap.  So in that sense, "things are expected to work on these
platforms" may be already stronger than what we want to say.