Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/9] Keep git clean -d from inadvertently removing ignored files

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 09:31:19 +0900

Samuel Lijin <[email-masked]> writes:

> What happens right now is that because (1) directories containing only
> untracked and ignored files are considered "untracked" and (2)
> read_directory_recursive() skips over untracked directories, even with
> DIR_SHOW_IGNORED_TOO set. As a result, `status --ignored` never lists
> ignored files if they're in an "untracked" directory (and this is the
> currently defined behavior per t7061).
>
> By teaching read_directory_recursive() to recurse into untracked
> directories in search of ignored files when DIR_SHOW_IGNORED_TOO is
> set, though, `status --ignored` now learns to report the existence of
> these ignored files, whereas previously it did not.

OK, if you are revisiting the design decision made by eb8c5b87
("git-status: Test --ignored behavior", 2012-12-30), we should
clearly document it in the log message of the commit that does so in
a way similar to how eb8c5b87 described the behaviour it desired.

Thanks.