Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 18/23] checkout: retire --to option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 12:41:13 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now that "git worktree add" has achieved user-facing feature-parity with
> "git checkout --to", retire the latter.
>
> Move the actual linked worktree creation functionality,
> prepare_linked_checkout() and its helpers, verbatim from checkout.c to
> worktree.c.
>
> This effectively reverts changes to checkout.c by 529fef2 (checkout:
> support checking out into a new working directory, 2014-11-30) with the
> exception of merge_working_tree() and switch_branches() which still
> require specialized knowledge that a the checkout is occurring in a
> newly-created linked worktree (signaled to them by the private
> GIT_CHECKOUT_NEW_WORKTREE environment variable).

I do not quite understand why we still need the hidden environment
variable.  Is this a sign that the implementation is shared too much
between unrelated codepaths (or to put it another way, perhaps API
functions that are not best fit are being used)?

Stepping back a bit, with or without the new "linked worktree"
feature, when you came across a repository whose working tree does
not have any file (i.e. somebody ran "git ls-files | xargs rm"), you
do not know and care what is in .git/index right now, you do not
know and care what branch its .git/HEAD points at, but you *do* know
what branch you want to be on (or where you want its HEAD detached
at), what would be the command you would use?

The state immediately after a new worktree is constructed by
populating /path/main/.git/worktrees/test-next/ and pointing it from
/path/other/test-next/.git but before the index or the files under
/path/other/test-next/ are populated is exactly that situation, no?
Wouldn't "symbolic-ref HEAD the-branch-i-want" (or "update-ref HEAD
the-commit-i-want" in the detached case) followed by "reset --hard"
the more natural thing to use, instead of merge-working-tree and
switch-branches that are implementation details of "checkout"?