Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] git help: group common commands by theme

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 11:58:50 -0700

Sébastien Guimmara  <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 05/07/2015 11:31 AM, Emma Jane Hogbin Westby wrote:
>
>>> The most commonly used git commands are:
>>>
>>>     * starting a working area:
>>>        clone      Clone a repository into a new directory
>>>        init       Create an empty Git repository or reinitialize [...]
>>>
>>>     * working on the current change:
>>>        add        Add file contents to the index
>>>        reset      Reset current HEAD to the specified state
>> I could not live without status at this stage, and status always tells
>> me what I should do next. I'm tempted to see it up here instead...
>
> The layout was not designed to be workflow oriented (even if it appears
> so), but rather theme oriented.

I tend to agree with Emma here; even if your original ordering was
not using the workflow as the grouping criterion, that is something
that can easily be fixed, I would think.

After all, the very original did not categorize and sorted
alphabetically, so there is no room for the "we chose to be
theme-oriented (I am not sure what it means, though) and a major
redesign at this point will confuse users" kind of resistance to
come into the picture.  At least not yet.

Thanks.