Subject: Re: Promoting Git developers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 22:25:21 -0700

David Lang <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I wrote something about a potential Git Rev News news letter:
>>
>> I read it.  Sounds promising.
>>
>> Just one suggestion on the name and half a comment.
>>
>> How would "Git Review" (or "Git Monthly Review", or replace your
>> favourite "how-often-per-period-ly" in its name) sound?  I meant it
>> to sound similar to academic journals that summarize and review
>> contemporary works in the field and keeps your original "pun" about
>> our culture around "patch reviews".
> ...
> I'll bet that LWN would publish, or at least link to, such articles on
> a regular basis, and if you end up doing an in-depth writeup on a
> particularly discussed topic, they would probably give it pretty good
> visibility.

I hope you are right, but my observation of our coverage by lwn.net
is somewhat pessimistic.  In our early days, our progress often used
to appear on the "Kernel Development" page, which I presume is the
most important page of the weekly for the kernel developers, but in
several months, the mention of us has moved two pages back to
"Development" and listed together with folks like OCaml Weekly,
PostgreSQL Weekly, etc.  I would not count that as "pretty good
visibility" particularly.

I am taking it as a positive change, though.  Once we got stable
enough not to be a roadblock for the kernel folks and proven
ourselves not to regress, our progress probably ceased to be
newsworthy to them ;-)