Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/2] log: add --show-linear-break to help see non-linear history

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:15:02 -0700

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Option explanation is in rev-list-options.txt. The interaction with -z
> is left undecided.
>
> Signed-off-by: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
> ---

Thanks.

>  * Revert back to the old option name --show-linear-break
>  * Get rid of saved_linear, use another flag in struct object instead

I cannot offhand say if I like this change or not.  A flag bit is a
scarce and limited resource; commit slabs felt more suited for
implementation of corner case eye-candies.

>  * Fix not showing the break bar after a root commit if the dag graph
>    has multiple roots

I definitely do not like the way a commit-list data structure is
abused to hold a phoney element that points at a NULL with its item
pointer.  Allocate a single bit in revs that says "I haven't done
anything yet" if you want to catch the "first-ness" without breaking
what commit_list_insert() and friends are expecting to see---they
never expect to see a NULL asked to be on the list, AFAIK.

>  * Make it work with --graph (although I don't really see the point of
>    using both at the same time)

I do not see the point, either.  I vaguely recall that the previous
iteration refused the combination at the option parser level, which
I think would be the right thing to do.

>  * Let the next contributor deal with -z

That is fine.