Subject: Re: [PATCH] Git release notes man page

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:14:52 -0800

Philip Oakley <[email-masked]> writes:

> A few days too late for the 1.9.0 release cycle :(
>
> This responds to Stefan Nwe's request for a 'git help' command that would
> access the release notes. ($gmane/240595 17 Jan 2014).
>
> I've used the full name "release-notes" for the help guide rather than
> Stefan's original 'git help relnotes'.
>
> The release-notes man page lists just the notes for the current release.
> The combined notes for all releases is nearing 15k lines.

RelNotes are incremental and only useful for those who know what the
immediately previous release contained, but for most people who get
their Git from distros, I have this impression that the versions of
Git they get skip versions, and seeing the notable changes since the
previous source release will not give them wrong information---they
may have this warm fuzzy feeling that they know what is going on,
but they are missing information on all the accumulated changes that
were added in earlier versions their distro skipped---these changes
are still in the version they are running.  I do not understand why
it is even a good idea to show release notes from the command line
"git" interface.