Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 2/2] receive-pack: hint that the user can stop "git push" at auto gc time

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 10:25:31 -0800

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Housekeeping jobs like auto gc generally should not get in the way.
> Users who are pushing may not want to wait until auto gc is done on
> the server. Give a hint for those users that it's safe now to break
> "git push" and stop waiting.
>
> Signed-off-by: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  This bandage patch may be a good compromise between running auto gc
>  and not annoying users much.
>  
>  If I'm not mistaken, when ^C on "git push" this way, gc will still be
>  running until it needs to print something out (which it should not
>  normally because of --quiet). The user won't see gc errors, but the
>  user generally can't do much anyway.

If you are over local transport, I would think you would kill the
both ends.  Also, wouldn't killing "git push" before it is done
talking with the receive-pack stop it before it has a chance to
update the remote tracking refs to pretend as if it fetched from
there immediately after a push?

So, no. I do not think we should ever encourage "if this bothers
you, you can ^C it".  Making it not to bother is fine, though.