Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Make 'git help everyday' work

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:09:38 -0800

"Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: "Junio C Hamano" <[email-masked]>
>>I think we already use a nicer way to set up a page alias to keep
>> old links working than making a copy in Documentation/; please mimic
>> that if possible.
>
> This was mainly about ensuring that the 'git help' command could
> access these extra extra guides that it currently misses. (Tt also
> misses the 'user-manual', which isn't a man page, but could have a
> link page to guide the seeker of truth between 'git help' and the
> actual user-manual)
>
> The only method I can see for that (via help.c) is to get the filename
> format correct.  Where you thinking of something else?

I do not have an objection against the creation of giteveryday.txt;
I was questioning the way the original everyday.txt was left behind
to bit-rot.  It is good to keep _something_ there, because there may
be old URLs floating around that point at Documentation/everyday.txt,
but the contents of that file does not have to be a stale copy.

Cf. bd4a3d61 (Rename {git- => git}remote-helpers.txt, 2013-01-31)
for how we renamed git-remote-helpers.txt to gitremote-helpers.txt